Monday, April 19, 2010

Compo 2

"Mandy, 69 marks! Looks like the top of this class isn't performing this time round..." Mrs Lim's voice rang into my ears. I felt like slapping myself! What happened to me! I always score and A star but what happened this time! I walk towards Mrs Lim as i ask myself a thousand questions. My whole body shaked terribly. I took my math paper and went back to my seats. "What happen to you Mandy?" Questions filled the air.

Linda, my best friend asked in a very concerned voice "Hey, what's wrong? You always had A stars and was always the top! What happened to you this time?" Feeling depressed, i looked at her as if i was going to die, and lay my head on the table. Soon, i begin to sob.

I recovered after a while but still felt depressed. I made up my mind! I'm not going to get this kind of marks forever! I have to work hard! With that determination, i sat up straight and listened attentively to what Mrs Lim said.

Then, something poked me. I looked back, it was Linda. "Yes?" i asked with my eyes still filled with tears. "Do you feel depressed? Want to have something that will make you feel like cloud 9?" Linda asked desperately.

"Not as depressed as just now. But what is it?" I replied, feeling very curious.

"I will show you after this. Come and met me after school at block 101."

Thinking that it might be something that will make me feel much better, i felt excited and can't wait till school ends.

I ran across the road and finally see Linda there. "What is it?" i asked again and again, feeling more and more curious. Linda looked around, then took out a packet of mentos. "you are really my best friend, how you know i love mentos?" i felt so lucky to have someone like Linda as a best friend.

"Hurry take it!" she rushed."Oh right, oh right." i said as i took one. Surprisingly, it don't look like the mentos that i always chew on. It looked like a pill.

"Hey, i don't think it'a a mentos." I hesistated before i asked, afraid that Linda might be offended. "Just eat it! You will feel very high later." she hopefully told me.

Before i could even say anything, she push that pill into my mouth. Out of a sudden, like what Linda told me, i feel high. So happy that i dance around like nobody's business. I felt that i had no stressed at all. I just love that feeling.

From then onwards, i begin to ask for that pill everyday, ,not knowing what was that. My studies started to go down. I begin not to do my homework. I hang out everyday with my group of friends who take that pills with me. I did not go home and stay till late at night to go shopping with my friends and spent the money my parents earn foolishly.

Finally, that day when i was caught taking pills in the toilet. I was bought by Mrs Lim to the principal office. "Mandy, you had always been very consistant in your work, now what happen? You were not like that before.You always pay close attention in class and score very well." Than Mrs Lim paused. I started to think through what she said. It was very true in did. "I would like to kow what happened to you. what are those pills you were taking just now?"

I felt remorseful. "Linda introduced this pills to me and it was written on the peck itself 'mentos'. But i don't think it's mentos at all, it doesn't look like. But when i eat it, i felt so high! i forgot all my stress! I just felt very good.So, subsequently, i took it everyday."

This time round, Linda was called into the room. "What are the pills you gave Mandy?"Mrs Lim questioned sternly.

"It is... is... just mentos!" she hesistated then replied.

"Then show me!" Mrs Lim commanded.

But Linda just stood there trembling in fear. Mrs Lim asked again, very imoatient this time. Then she shouted at her "Don't test my patience Linda!" I had never seen Mrs Lim so scary before, she had never shouted at anyvody even if she was very angry. I stood there, not moving an inch. Linda begin opening her bag, and then took out her pack of mentos slowly. her whole body was shivering. Sweat dripped down her head.

"Give it to me!" Mrs Lim yelled. Not even giving Linda the chance to speak. She snatch that pack of mentos from her. Mrs Lim took a glance at the pills and concluded "This are ecstatic pills! You are taking drugs! You know that this drugs, than why do you eat it, and to make matter worser, you even give it to others!"

"I am so sicked and tired of Mandy always getting 1st! I wanted to make her grades go down so that i can be 1st!" Mandy blurt every thing out. I was shocked by what i just heard. I can't believe it! She had always been my best friend since kindergarden and now she's saying this to me? She betrayed me! I just can't believe what i heard! I've always thought she will be with me no matter what.

"You are going to be expelled! Mandy, since you do not know that your best friend actully betrayed you, you are given a new chance." Mrs Lim told us, this time much gentler.

Like what Mrs Lim said, true enough, Linda was expelled. I felt sorry for her but i know that if she continues, it's not helping her too.

A valued lesson learnt here, be careful of the people you mix with, if you mix with successful people, you will also be successful.

1 comment: